Sunday 22 May 2011

Because children like soft furnishings too

I can still remember the vibrant yellow, flowery Laura Ashley curtains and bed linen I had in my room as a little girl. I imagine that this is where my love of yellow flowers, and Laura Ashley, comes from. Mr Briggs can still remember being wrapped up warm and cosy during the Scottish winters in flannelette bed linen. And I know this is where his undying love of flannalette comes from! With this in mind I made two children's blankets...


 They are big enough to get totally wrapped up in (if you are small!), be placed on top of a child's bed, or used as a play mat on the floor. The material is bright and fun, covered in beautiful butterflies, adorable birds and pretty flowers and leaves.




The back is made from flannalette sheet, so will be comfy for snuggling up under at nap time.



I joined the layers at evenly spaced out intervals with some crosses of strong twine (you can make it out just top left of these lovely little birds having a natter). This is because the blankets have an inner quilting layer inside to make them thick and warm, and I didn't want the three layers to separate too much after being hugged, and chewed, and dragged around. I also pre washed each layer, so with the joining ties, it means the blankets can be washed and won't come apart and out of shape in the middle.

Both blankets have now been given to some lovely little people, and I hope they enjoy them as much as I enjoyed my Laura Ashley flowery bed covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment