This footstool has become my nemesis. It is traditionally upholstered i.e made with proper stuffing and ties rather than foam, and therefore takes a lot of time and effort. It has been sat in it's present state by my sofa for almost a year. I look at it every day and think "I will finish you tomorrow....."
To get this far (above photo) I have attached webbing to the wooden frame (which had to be handmade before the upholstery could even start), sewn springs on to this, tied the springs down to the frame, tacked on a spring canvas, bridle stitched the spring canvas, attached stuffing to the stitches, tacked on hessian over the stuffing, regulated the stuffing through the hessian to make it even, stitched four layers around the edges of the stuffing and hessian to pull it into place, and finally sewn bridle stitches on top of this for the next stuffing to be attached to. If that much effort goes into a wee footstool (that is not even finished) I am sure you can all appreciate why traditionally upholstered, hand made furniture costs so much more than your typical mass produced stuff. The time and skill that goes into these pieces means that they are more than likely to outlive you, let alone a mass produced piece that you'll be throwing out in five years!
So after all that effort I realised I had better stand up to my nemesis and finish the footstool. The above photo is the next step; I have attached the second stuffing to the bridle stitches. This takes a while because you have to make sure the stuffing is evenly spread out, so that when your stool is finished it will be even and comfy all over. And that is as far as I have got! Hopefully next week I will be able to show you what the next stage looks like. For now, the stool is sat back down next to my sofa.